Wednesday, December 24, 2008

All I want for Christmas is you....

So, you've probably all been hearing about the airlines, storms, and traveling troubles. Jamin was away in Turkey last week (with work). He left Turkey on Saturday afternoon and was due to fly in to Halifax on Sunday night. That, of course, did not happen.

When I spoke with him on Sunday he was so happy because he had just barely made his flight to Toronto from the Heathrow airport. He was so happy to land in Canada; just about home, or so he thought.

His next flight was supposed to be from Toronto to Halifax. He got on the flight Sunday night and it wasn't able to land in Halifax, so kept going to NFLD. Jamin rushed around the airport there (he said he felt like he was on the Amazing Race!) and managed to book a ticket to Halifax with a different airline than he was originally travelling with. He was excited to be finally getting home. By this time, it was 8:00am Monday morning. He had hardly slept and was getting really tired. Oh well...one last flight, then home.

Not so. The flight couldn't land in Halifax, so kept going to TORONTO! So basically he spent 24 hours to fly to NFLD and back to Toronto. Poor guy.

Then, he managed to get the last seat on a flight to Moncton because there were no flights available to Halifax until after Christmas. He just wanted to get to the Maritimes. He got into Moncton and then booked a flight to Halifax from there.

It got cancelled. Jamin was so desperate to get home, he & a few people he met up with hired a taxi to drive them to Halifax. He finally got home at midnight Monday night.

We're so thankful he is home for Christmas. There are so many people that have just had horrible stories of travelling. Can you imagine being suck in an airport with young children?! That would be so difficult!

We just got a call today that his luggage has arrived, so that's good. He is missing his bite plate :)

Merry Christmas!!

6 comments:

kevin said...

Poor guy! Great Story.Glad you had hom for Christmas.

Claire got a great ne toy for her and Naomi.

kevin said...

Poor guy! Great Story.Glad you had him home for Christmas.

Claire got a great ne toy for her and Naomi.

Unknown said...

I got stressed just reading about Jamin's ordeal--and I knew how the story ended! Mariah's song has a whole new meaning now! :)

Sarah said...

Ant and I had similar problems and ended up spending a fretful night in Newark and then eventually flying to Moncton and getting Mum and Dad to pick us up there -- once the road was open for them to get though! Glad to hear that Jamin made it home in the end as well.

Anonymous said...

That's awful! :(

JWo said...

Wow - that is quite the story! And I thought I had it rough with traveling during the holidays. Jamin, I have new found respect for ya! Way to make it home!! =)