
I have a sinus infection. I've never had one before and I hope to never have one again. It's horrible.
What I want to talk about though is our medical system. I know it has its flaws and all, but I'm thankful for it. I called a walk-in clinic yesterday afternoon and was able to get an appointment for that evening. The clinic is less than 10 minutes from my house. I had a bit of a wait when I got there, but that didn't bother me. I saw the Dr, he gave me a prescription, I ran it to Sobeys, and now I'm on antibiotics and hopefully we feel better really soon. What a great country we live in! Such easy access to medical aid.
What are your thoughts?


8 comments:
First of all, let me empathize with you on the sinus infection issue. Ugh. No fun.
Second, I would have to agree. We are really blessed to have access to "free" medical care, or any at all. When you think of SO many countries who do not even have basic health care, let alone being able to afford it. Sure, our system has its flaws--wait times, etc.--but overall I think Canadians are very privileged.
I agree, we are very fortunate to live in Canada. We are impatient and can't stand waiting...but perhaps a bit of waiting is good for our fast paced world. Take a good book and read. I haven't really used the system at all but I know those that have and overall its a blessing.
Canada rocks. Plain and simple :) Hope you feel better soon!
It's all to easy to take it for granted, eh?! Despite my aversion to conventional health care in general, I do appreciate knowing if I need it, it's there. Feel better soon, Sarah!!
Oh no-a sinus infection! No wonder its been hanging on so long! Glad you got antibiotics!
As for our medical care, I am always very thankful for it! I became much more aware of our situation when I was in DR. Simply looking at their pharmacies made me think twice!
I also had a ten year old boy show me an acetaminophen plant while we were in their "National park". He explained that they boil the leaves, and place them on their forehead to get rid of headaches. A bit more work than taking a Tylenol!
You should see Sicko....the new Michael Moore documentary....came away with 2 things after watching it. Wow we sure are lucky to have the medical system we do in Canada when you compare us to the U.S. no question about it....but we still have a long way to go when you look at us compared to European countries. We can still do better and should not settle for just having a better system than what the Americans have which is incredible disgusting in my opinion.
Sounds like it works great when you have a cold, but when I went to get an Ultrasound the wait was four months long!!! What if the lump they were checking out was cancerous??
People are going to the states to get these routine checks done. Socialized medicine is good on a small scale, but we need to privatize medicine and spot expecting hand outs from the government.
Is it sustainable... and what happens when it isnt?
Post a Comment