
Are you particular with expiry dates on your food? Sometimes I am, sometimes I'm not. It kind of depends on what the food is. For example, I'm fine with bread a couple of days old as long as there isn't any mold. I'm not really cool with milk that is past date. It tastes funny to me or maybe it's just in my head because I know that it has expired according to the best before date.

I thought of this because the other night I was going to put dressing on my salad and noticed that it had expired (not by a long time) and then I didn't want it. It was probably totally fine, but I just lost interest after knowing it was past date. Jamin thinks this is kind of ridiculous and he doesn't seem to care about these expiry dates.
What about you!?
11 comments:
If it is pretty much an hour past the date I won't eat. I am sure it is fine and totally in my head but I just can't do it. Robin on the other hand I am pretty sure never looks and wouldn't care even if he did and it was way past. Maybe it is a gender thing!!!
I think your posts are funny...always thought-provoking!! My family is so paranoid (except dad) about eating things that are expired/old...Jason always laughs at us, and is usually excited to go to mom's and eat her desserts that have been sitting there for a day, and no-one else will touch them. Its amazing how bottles and jars can sit in your fridge, and you don't realize how long they've been there until you go to use them...like salad dressings and pickles and stuff. Like you, once I know its expired, even though it probably has a ton of preservatives...I'm sore of turned off. Milk products...once its due date's arrived...if we have any left...I'm gonna chuck it, for sure. and store-bought bread lasts pretty long, but...once that green stuff starts growing...ai yai yai...I had a run-in once before...and will gladly 'waste' bread before I do that again!!
Hope you're feeling better...my cold is almost gone...my word, what a brutal week, though...I usually have a pretty strong immunity system, but...this little baby and the cold just sucked the life out of me this past week.
Any recent belly pics?
I usually trust my nose and/or intuition when it comes to expiry dates. Especially dairy...cream tends to last forever. I laughed when I read this post; it reminded me of your aversion to potentially "bad" produce. "Bad" meaning a miniscule bruise on a banana or a suspicious looking mark on an apple. I got a lot of fruit and veggies from you that way!!
When in doubt, dont. That's my philosophy.
I am sooooo picky when it comes to the expired dates. Milk is the biggest one... oh and anything like mayo and dressing are the next in line that i check just to be on the safe side.
Just like you said you were paranoid even if it looks and smells fine, that you get turned off and chuck it. Martin just looks at me sometimes and says it's fine but in the back of my mind i'm saying, there's no way i'm eating that. lol
I guess i'm weird as well then. haha Though to be safe rather than sorry i make the effort to go through the fridge, like i did to today and check the dates and get rid of what's been sitting there for awhile.
hope everything is going well with you. i bet your excited that your little one will be arriving very soon. Take care!
Steph
Hey! me too. Since were moving I've been forced to look at dates... and ugh! is all I can say, especially to the box soups and medicines (oops) stored under the counter that we rarly use. I found some that expired in 2003. What was your oldest item??
If it smells and looks fine, I use it. I grew up eating a lot of food - milk included - that was home grown, so common sense prevailed. Expiry dates are always sooner than the food will actually spoil anyway. I have a jar of salad dressing in my fridge that is three weeks past its date and I'm still eating it - and none the worse for the wear.
I trust my nose more than expiry dates. I find that a little bit of green on the balony doesn't really taste that bad...just different.
Its been almost a week since you updated...Sarah, we miss your witty posts...c'mon...
So - you must be 38 weeks now - how are you doing?! My only means of communicating with you when I'm at work is through Xanga - so, here is a little message for ya...hope you're feeling okay, and not too terribly uncomfortable - can't wait to hear the big news!!!! I have a feeling its gonna be earlier than my guess, but - I don't care, I just hope everything goes well...hope you're having a great day, my friend...
If it is open and past expiry date I will not touch it! If it is unopened and past expiry date, I'm okay with using it. Once I open an expired product, my rule is I have to use all of it or some of it that day, but not the next. I toss it. Strange I know!!
Michelle
Post a Comment