Jamin & I have two alarm clocks in our room. One on each of our bedside tables. Even if we get up at the same time in the morning, we set them both. I think it's because we both like to have that control. I know I'm not willing to give up my alarm clock. I also like looking at it during the night.
A couple of weeks ago, we were supposed to get up @ 6:00am on a Sunday morning to drive our friend Kelley to the airport. For some unknown reason, only I set my alarm clock. Have you ever set it for pm rather than am or vice-versa? Well that's what I did. Anyway, we awoke to Kelley pounding on our door! It wasn't a big deal because we can get ready in 3 minutes.
However, this made me think about what other couples do as far as the alarm clock situation. I was talking to a friend @ work (Patty) and she & her husband only have one alarm clock which has lead to some sleeping in later than desired at times.
Questions: What is your alarm clock situation? One or two? If you're single, what do you think you'd prefer when there's someone else sharing your room? Let's hear it..
FAMILY!
10 years ago


14 comments:
Well, when we started out, we had two...more for the fact that I like waking up to a music radio station, and Tyler likes the CBC. Anyway, we had company, and moved my alarm clock to the spare room, and it never made it back. So now I'm always a little edgy about the alarm...did he set it right? Did he set it again after he got up? Etc., etc. I should really just put my alarm clock back!
Okay funny you should post this today....we only have one and I totally forgot to set it last night...I usually sleep on the side of the alarm clock so it is usually my job to set it. It is never a problem for us though even if we forget since our dogs wake up almost exactly 5-10 minutes before our alarm clock without fail. In the end I guess in this case we sort of have our actual alarm clock as our back-up just in case by some freak of nature the dogs don't get up at at exactly 5:50 am....so far though they haven't failed us yet :-)
I think people should not use alarm clocks. Rather, we should trust God to wake us up at the right time.
Or realize that God gave us a brain that functions well enough to tell us we should use an alarm clock.
Amanda and I have two alarm clocks, but only the one on my side of the bed gets used. Last year we used both, but that fizzled out for some reason this year. Amanda prefers the radio alarm, and I prefer the buzzer. It's been pure buzzer this year.
On the weekdays it is a must--we need to get up early. On the weekends we don't set it, and I seem to get up early anyway. Amanda often sleeps in though (while I make pancakes).
Well since Mark and I married, we have been a one alarm clock family. I like to have it on my side of the bed, as I have the compulsive need to know what time it is when I wake up during the night...imagine being from a culture where time is less relative....what would life be like without an alarm clock? Did you know that that "some experts say that you are sleeping the right amount for you if you do not need an alarm clock to wake you in the morning". Maybe we are all suffering from sleep deprivation! Except Jeff who is up early making pancakes, mmmmm!!
I have my alarm clock across the room so I can't shut it off without getting up first. I have, however, walked over, shut it off, and laid back down for 'just a few more minutes'. That never has a happy ending.
If I was married, I'd hope that my wife would wake me up with the smell of fresh coffee and breakfast just-a-waiting for me. For now, I guess I have to put up with waking to a roommate's singing coming from the shower. For the record, Mark can carry a tune better than the rest of 'em.
Hi Sarah, Its me Kirsten nice pictures and you look pretty with a big belly!! and I really like the picture of Jamin with the kangaroo.
By for now,
and goodluck with the baby "boy"(that's what I think your having)
Thanks, Kirsten :) I'll tell Jamin that you like that picture of him. Enjoy your Christmas and thanks for commenting on our blog!
In a few months the alarm clock will be the least of your worries. You won't have to set one for several months and possibly years. That baby will have an internal clock that will decide to go off at the strangest times. I usually end up getting back in bed by the time Jamie's alarm is going off. It's funny the things that go through your head in the middle of the night. I can't wait to see what you have to blog about then :)
I like what Kelly had to say! For Deb and I we have only one alarm clock... and it is on my side because I like the control. But, since we only have one, we both have to wake up to the earliest time that one of us need to be up at. This causes some unfortunate scenearios for the one who doesn't have to wake up that early, but that is a small issue. Besides, we usually need to wake up at the same time anyway. ;)
But this leads to the question of why are we so time based? Why are so worried about sleeping in that we wake up 10 minutes before our alarm goes off? Does that add another layer of stress? Does it affect our sleep? I would like to explore that question...
I always set my alarm clock for work but end up waking up before it goes off anyway. I think I'll have my own when I get married as I need to look at the time in the middle of the night.
What will Mary and Eric do?
I know a couple where the wife takes no responsibility for either alarm clock and gets upset if the husband doesn't set it for her to get up to go shopping etc. She should double check it or set it herself. She's so silly.
Hey, guys...just reviewing your blog entries...I missed some...nice catching up on your lives...(is there a way you can put a link on your xanga that goes here?!...ask Jamin...Josh A does it...) anyways...nice haircut, Sarah...and, as far as the alarm clock situation...we have one...I'm afraid one is annoying enough for us - I don't know if we could handle having two. Its on my side - I wake up alot, and always have to know what time it is. Anyways...still believe the alarm is the most annoying sound in the world...possibly - I suppose there probably are more annoying sounds. Anyways...when are you guys coming home?! Are you going to be here on Tuesday - we're having a potluck at Benjy and Lee-Anne's...just with as many people as we can find...who are willing to hang out with us!! Anyways...can't wait to see you guys!!!
Sarah!
I wasn't "pounding" on your door... just knocking!! I miss you guys! How's the wheels?
love
Kelley in London, Ontario
Intresting entry... I'm single and therefore have the alarm clock on my side! I control everything and like it that way... for now! I prefer to wake up to music but for the past several years have had an alarm with a buzzer thanks to a gift from my mom... but it has a phone on it... that I never use... maybe it's time for a clock radio again!?!
As for the comment regarding getting up before you alarm... I think this is due to stress. When I was in school, I used to get wake up several times before my alarm on my clinical days cuz I was so worried about sleeping through it and missing the bus. Doesn't happen much now that I'm working, unless I'm starting a new job!
So, that's my 2 cents on the subject!
Post a Comment