Hey everyone! Monday night and Jamin & I are chilling out. Just wanted to say hi and thank everyone for all of their comments on my "to change or not to change" post...very interesting thoughts.So, what's the latest with everyone? I am taking in a little boy 3 days a week and started today. It went well; he's a great baby and Naomi enjoyed the company.
Heard a good talk about prayer and praying for our leaders on Sunday. Got me to thinking....I wonder what percentage of people pray. Do you think most people pray at least at one point in their lives? I know lots of people that pray daily, but I wonder if even those who don't believe in God pray when they are desperate. Prayer is a deep subject that I think God wants to teach me more about.
Anyway, that's all for now. Hope everyone is having a good week so far. Jamin & I are going to go and play some Rook! Wish me luck (he usually beats me believe it or not!!.....)


8 comments:
Hey Angela,
Congrats on the new job! That's awesome; I hope you enjoy it.
Also, I appreciate your honest thoughts on the subject of prayer. I always enjoy talking to you about spiritual things!
SB
Angela: Thanks for sharing your thoughts on prayer.
Sarah: If your a Yancey fan, get his book on Prayer. I'm about half way through it.
I think many people pray at some point in their lives. Actually, I have met a few people who, in desperation, asked the question of whether they should start attending church and have admitted they've prayed when they were in distress. In fact, although I prayed lots when I was young, even when I didn't consider myself a "christian" I still prayed at times. And I'm still so amazed at how many times God has answered my prayers. :)
I think there are many people who pray and many that do not. For me the challenge is, of course the need for prayer, but very importantly; am I praying "fluff" or am I actually in the Spirit, praying for people, places, situations where I actually believe Christ will work through my simple words. I don't think it's about the amount of words but the posture of my heart. In fact, it is not really about me at all, it is about Him. To be honest, I am sometimes overwhelmed with all I think I SHOULD be praying for. So often it is easy to put other things in front of prayer but then I realize, we have the most incrediable gift, God actually can use our prayers to change the world. WOW!
Hey, Sarah...I always appreciate and enjoy your thoughts...and...I'm really hoping that on Saturday...your THOUGHTS can be actual CONVERSATIONS...'cause, as you know...we're planning on taking a little trip...I'll try to call you tonight...but,...we're pretty excited to "get away"...and...to see you guys and a couple other friends...talk to you tonight!
Sarah, I just noticed that your blog says "from CA". Are you in California? If so what part... I love California.
I have to admit, I don't pray as often as I should. And I do think that people do "pray" at some pt in their lives. They may focus the prayer to someone they may believe is the "higher power," or not even care who they are directing it to, but I am sure everyone is searching for someone who can control what they feel is out of their own control. Hmm..am I even making sense when I type this..lol
BTW, glad all went well with the new little fella'. It is so nice for kids to have a buddy to play with.
You know I find this an interesting topic. I kinda have a story. My Dad was raised in a strict Pentecostlal family. Unfortunately he later got away from all of that upbringing when he got older. He did not trust in God, he did not Pray to God. When my Mom was dying I went to NL and meet my family at the hospital. When I met my Dad at the hospital we walked to the ICU where my Mom was fighting for her life. My Dad said to me as we walked past the chapel "I've been in there a few times tonight". I was shocked. Not knowing the condition of my Mother I knew that it had to be bad if my Dad was in the chapel. All of those years he had gone without praying, possibly not believing in a lot of what he was raised knowing and he was now talking and praying to God. He knew that there was a higher power, someone that is so wonderful that he could go to and pray to to save my mother... he believed again.... but has he prayed since?? I can't answer that. I don't believe that his prayer was just the act of a desperate man. I believe that deep down in his heart he knows that God is there for him, even though he does not live his life outwardly celebrating God.
Post a Comment