How about a dime?I just got back from a beautiful walk with Naomi...what a great day! On my way back I spotted an old penny on the side of the road...I didn't stop. I thought about that as I walked by...I used to always stop & pick up pennies. Hmm....what has changed?
As I kept walking, I spotted a dime. I stopped and picked it up. There was no hesitation. I felt a weird sense of excitement over my find.
I also remembered this time when I was in grade 3 and I found a $2 bill. I handed it in to my teacher (I was a goody-goody...wouldn't have even thought about keeping it!). She said that if no one claimed it, I could keep it! By the end of the day, no one had stepped up, so I got to have it! I was sooooo excited! That could buy a lot of candy!
It also reminded me of the story in the Bible where the lady sweeps her whole house looking for that lost coin....neat how God seeks us like that...
So, would you have stopped for the penny? How about the dime?


12 comments:
heheeee, cute story! no, I wouldn't have stopped for the penny... I hate pennies, and I like to throw them out when no one is looking ;) someone told me it was illegal but I just always seem to have soo many pennies in my purse or my car. And I might have stopped to pick up the dime, but I'm not confident...the value of dimes has dropped for me because when I put them in the parking meters in Calgary the time doesn't change (unless you put at least two in, and then it adds like a minute!)...but I'd definately stop for a quarter :)
It takes 3 seconds to stop, bendover and pick up a penny. Thats 12 dollars an hour. :)
Good story and something I usually think about!!! I too am guilty for throwing out/not picking up pennies. I always feel really bad about it though. I mean, just think, if we saved all the pennies eventually they will add up. I know that plenty of people around the world would love to have a few pennies. Its actually sad that we don't "respect" pennies enough.
I think I'm going to buy a piggy bank and start saving those pennies. I wonder who I can help? What makes us so privileged to just throw them out? So sad.
Amanda
I would have stopped for a penny, dime whatever I can find. If someone dropped it and didn't notice it, it's finders keepers. I would hate to throw out those pennies, shame on ya Gisle, LOL......Just like Amanda said you can save them and find a cause to donate the money to or you can save the coins and roll them and every so often as it builds up you can put them into your savings.
I don't think it's cheap but I think there's some good in picking up that dime or penny when you see one. All those pennies are still money to be spent.
I think pennies should be discontinued. It takes more than $.01 to create them. Just start with nickels. That's my $.02.
hmmmm.... Is Ray watching? He is a penny pincher and if he was watching me, I would definitely pick er up -- if not.... I would pass it by. But like you I would stop for a dime, for sure.
I do save my change in a jar though... I never throw any money away.... the guilt would kill me. It's so cute - when my boys find a penny they get so excited...they think they can buy so many great things with that penny- toys, toys and more toys. ahhhh - childhood.
I also would keep walking past the penny. I don't throw them out though. We started saving our change in a jar, and when I went to roll it we had almost $175!!(I had been collecting change for a while!) But it was a great surprise. I know someone who used to throw their change (including $1 and $2) in a jar and then they did their Christmas shopping with it! So it sure adds up after a while.
I'm working out tim horton's and I'll always take the broom so I can sweep to find pennies. When I find them I stick them in my shoe! If ever i'm buting something I always like giving them the exact change. My cousin just rolled her change and has $52 in pennies and all together $302 (all dimes nickles and pinnies!!!)She's only 11!!! So people keep your change!
I also wouldn't normally stop to pick up a penny. Like 'the ellefsens,' I have been known to throw out pennies. I seem to collect them at each different place I live, then don't know what to do when I move out. When I lived in residence at SMU, my roommate took all my pennies...they were like a treasure to her. However, I think now I would pick up a penny. Matt and I are trying to save as much change as we can this year so we can buy something big. Funny thing is, he tends to collect loonies and toonies, and (you guessed it), I only collect pennies...haha!!!! We rolled a bunch the other day, and probably have about $10. Now if I could find as many pennies as 'barry-eh,' then that would be sweet!!!
I pick up pennies when I don't mind if my hands or pockets get dirty. One time at my uncle's cottage I found a five dollar bill in the river that feeds into the ocean. At first I thought it was a beer label that had floated from the camp ground up stream. It was quite exciting.
I would not pick up a penny.
A loonie or more.
To be honest, at 7 months preggie, I don't think I would bend over for either..lol. Better yet..I may even miss a 20 dollar bill these days! I can't see a bloody thing under my feet...lol.
Post a Comment